Anyone who rolls out of bed before the sun is up to takes Jen B’s early morning Grit class knows why they get out of bed. They want to get a hardcore, pushed-to-the-limit, high-intensity training session that leaves them walking out the door feeling great, empowered, and ready to tackle the day. Let’s all not forget to mention–SORE! Jen comes from a soccer background and her athleticism has a way of shining through in her classes. Jen’s lifestyle and routine shows– her physique is #inspo and #goals. We caught up with Jen and she shared with us her secrets for those tough 6 am workouts, nutrition and the GRIT movements she swears by.
- What are your secrets to getting up so early for those AM Grit classes?
I’m sure a lot of people would say coffee but I don’t like the taste – it’s funny how the more energy you burn the more energy you seem to have. I can’t sit still and always over pack my schedule with cool and exciting things to do; it’s the only way for me to have enough energy during the day to accomplish everything I need to. The answer to cram it all in has always been to wake up early, and jump start my day with a good sweat!
- If you could only have 3 movements in your workout routine for the rest of your life, what would they be and why? (Lunges, bicep curls, etc!)
Running (why walk when you could run?!), burpees (yes they suck but are so effective), and tricep dips (who doesn’t love sexy arms?)
- What do you like most about Uforia?
Community, community, community! I love the feeling of being a team. There are definitely days when I don’t want to get out of bed but knowing that my team is going to be there to push their limits with me makes it ALL worth it! It’s also awesome taking other classes and getting to workout next to the same people I teach in class – GRIT / REV doubles anyone?!
- If you could describe yourself as a Rockstar in 3 words, what would they be (and why)?
Challenging: what’s the point in getting up early if not for a challenge?!
Motivational: I want you to find your limits and push them. One of the most valuable life lessons is learning to shut out the negative thoughts in your head that say “I can’t” in all aspects of life, not just fitness. I learned that through fitness, I can aim to help others achieve those breakthroughs in class. – I also do THE ENTIRE class with you. I feel your pain. We are in it together!
Athletic: We are going to hit every body part and get your heart rate up to bring on the most calorie burn and build strength in all muscles including the most important one: your heart!
- Your physique is impressive! What are your secrets to staying lean year-round?
1) Goal setting! I’m addicted to working out but can get bored with routine very quickly. I recently have been into running! I tend to schedule a some races a few months out–that way I have a target to work towards. Getting a new personal record is ALWAYS the mission!
2) Workout buddies – Some of my friends are as crazy about working out as I am. Our idea of fun is to plan workout classes together (sometimes they even turn into girls night drinks on a friday night 🙂
3) Nutrition is also key – I’m terrible at dieting and snack ALL day long – but I find reading ingredients to at least be aware of what I’m eating. This helps me make more informed decisions– my general rule of thumb is to eat REAL food with REAL ingredients and eliminate anything processed. Food is fuel!
Set your alarm, Palo Alto! Who wants to take Jen’s GRIT class with me?!